the hoof supplement everyone is talking about
Equi Life Ltd, the distribution arm of the UK's original podiatry clinic, has launched a ‘New Generation’ equine hoof supplement, Formula4 Feet, providing unique benefits for both horses with poor hoof horn quality, cracked hooves, failure to hold shoes for 6 weeks and weak heels.
Robert Eustace FRCVS, Director of the clinic, developed Formula4 Feet in collaboration with Dr. David Frape, the country’s leading equine nutritionist. Mr Eustace is increasingly disturbed by the insidious increase in GM ingredients in horse feeds. He takes the view that the consequences of feeding GM ingredients are unknown and that until extensive research is undertaken, to prove safety both to animals and the environment; it is prudent to avoid such materials.
The nutrition for hooves provided by Formula4 Feet leads to obvious improvement in hoof horn quality.
1. Formula4 Feet is the first non-GM hoof supplement to be made anywhere in the world. It is manufactured in the UK in an establishment using the highest standards i.e. positive release system (for raw materials and finished product), drug free, UK Establishment No GB330M 5117; UFAS Approval No 5155.
2. Formula4 Feet has gained approval by the Vegetarian Society due to there being no ingredients of animal or molluscan origin and to the ethical production and development policies which Equi Life employs.
3. Each batch of Formula4 Feet is tested free of substances listed in the Common Feed Contaminants Screen, before it is offered for sale. Products including these substances would result in a positive dope test under FEI and Jockey Club rules. Testing is performed at the world’s leading equine forensic laboratory.
4. Formula4 Feet has been subjected to independent research at the University of Berlin, the world renowned keratin institute.
5. Formula4 Feet provides over 65 micronutrients, in a highly palatable pellet. These include 13 vitamins, 18 amino acids, 16 minerals, 4 antioxidants, and essential fatty acids, including omega 3's. Due to its comprehensive formulation Formula4 Feet is an excellent general supplement to help keep your horse in tip top health.
6. Formula4 Feet provides 20mg biotin daily for a 450 kg horse. Most studies on the effects of hoof horn following supplementation with biotin indicate that 20mg daily is necessary to achieve consistent improvement.
7. Formula4 Feet provides over 3 grams of calcium per day balanced with magnesium and phosphorus. Calcium has been shown to be important in inter-squame attachment in hoof horn.
8. Formula4 Feet provides zinc as both organic and inorganic forms, providing optimal availability, yet allowing the horse to retain intestinal selectivity during absorption. Zinc is important for correct hoof horn and skin growth.
9. Formula4 Feet contains methionine, an important natural sulphur containing amino acid. Methionine is necessary to provide the building blocks of strong hoof horn.
10. Formula4 Feet provides generous amounts of phospholipids, from natural ingredients. Phospholipids are essential dietary components for incorporation into all cell membranes. This function is vital throughout the body, not only in the hoof, where phospholipids are intimately involved in keeping the horn healthy and maintaining a normal water balance.
11. Formula4 Feet contains no cereals and no added selenium. Cereals are high in soluble carbohydrates. Excessive selenium is thought to contribute to hoof horn infections and can be toxic if over supplemented. Selenium toxicosis causes poor horn development with a dry scaly appearance to the hoof and if given in greater amounts can lead to the horse shedding its hooves or even death.
12. Formula4 Feet contains Vitamin D which is important for the healthy growth and remodeling of bones. Vitamin D is particularly vital for horses which receive little access to sunshine.
13. Formula4 Feet is a revolutionary new formulation which provides nutritional support to keep your horse healthy. Formula4 Feet should be used in combination with a low calorie, high fibre diet; the natural way.
14. Formula4 Feet contains the amino acids lysine and threonine. Lysine and Threonine are the two most important rate limiting amino acids, they are essential for the horse's correct metabolism in order to assimilate all the goodness from his food and maintain healthy.
15. Formula4 Feet contains optimal levels of antioxidants including heat stable Vitamin C, Vitamin E, copper and BHT. Antioxidants not only help keep Formula4 Feet in fresh condition but, when assimilated, maintain the oxidative balance in tissues.
16. Formula4 Feet contains omega 3 fatty acids, which by their competitive metabolism, during the desaturation of n-6 fatty acids to the inflammatory eicosanoids; maintain a normal balance of these intermediates in the tissues.
17. Formula4 Feet contains the amino acid arginine, which is the precursor for the formation of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a powerful vasodilator i.e. causes the blood vessels to widen.
18. Formula4 Feet contains balanced amounts of bioavailable magnesium and inorganic calcium. Experience at the clinic indicates that the balance of these two cations optimizes the health of your horses and ponies.
19. Formula4 Feet contains Riboflavin which is important for efficient energy metabolism and healthy skeletal muscles.
20. Formula4 Feet contains natural plant sources of Vanadium and Chromium. Vanadium is vital for insulin intra-cellular signaling. Chromium, in combination, is involved in the formation of glucose tolerance factor by the horse. Glucose tolerance factor is vital in order to maintain normal glucose sensitivity.
21. Formula4 Feet contains tyrosine and phenylalanine, both important precursors of the neurotransmitter dopamine.
22. Formula4 Feet contains choline, inositol, methionine and cobalt (precursor of Vitamin B12), all of which are essential for optimal liver function.
23. Formula4 Feet contains short chain oligosaccharides from natural ingredients. These have been shown to be important in maintaining a healthy microbial population in the horse’s hindgut.
24. Formula4 Feet contains the amino acid tyrosine and the element iodine, which when combined, form thyroxine, the thyroid hormone. Adequate thyroxine is necessary for optimal energy metabolism, a normal metabolic rate and a healthy hair coat.
25. Formula4 Feet comes in recyclable bags and sacks resistant to moisture and u/v light.
26. Despite all the above benefits, Formula4 Feet represents a significant saving on existing leading podiatry supplements e.g. a 7 kg bag (which represents a 6 week shoeing interval supply for a 450 kg horse) has a recommended retail price of only £36.74.
Testimonial from Robert Smith.
Robert Smith, one of Great Britain's most successful international show jumpers, has been feeding Formula4 Feet as a supplement to his top string of horses for several years and remains a staunch supporter of the product. "Although we initially started using Formula4 Feet some years ago on a couple of horses that suffered from poor hoof condition, we now feed it as a supplement as a matter of course for optimum hoof health. Talan, Vangelis, and Balourado are all fed Formula4 Feet. The horses like it, so it is easy to add to the feed. Obviously, it is essential that our show jumping horses are in tip-top condition to perform at their best and feeding Formula4 Feet is an integral part of their overall dietary routine."
Testimonial from Veva Buffington, USA.
I would like to take this opportunity to tell you what a great product Formula4 Feet is. When I first started to use this, it was for one of my Appaloosas. He hasn't navicular or laminitis. However, his hooves were in such poor quality that my farrier made casts for his feet to keep them from falling apart. He lost shoes constantly, and his hooves literally fell apart if he went anywhere near standing water. In addition he was very low heeled. After 6 months, my farrier was able to get him to a point where with 4 wk visits, and special shoes, and constant maintenance on my end, he at least had hooves. They still looked very bad, but I thought that was probably the best they would get. Then I saw an advertisement in John Lyons magazine. Knowing that products don't get advertised there, without John's endorsement, I decided to give it a try. I did not tell my farrier, because he is completely against supplements. I wanted to see what he noticed, and what I noticed. My farrier was out just 2 wks after I started him on it, and I had noticed nothing. My farrier made a comment that his horn walls are looking good. In the next couple of weeks, I noticed he was getting more white spots on his coat, and he had an overall shine that he didn't have before. On the farrier's next visit, he took one look at my horse and said "Your horse is breaking out in Appaloosa". When he picked up the first hoof to work on it, he put it back down, stood up and said, "What are you giving this horse?" When he read the ingredients from the bag, he told me to keep it up, and I should also give it to my other app, who had recently gone through colic surgery; saying it would be good for his hind gut. Today, you would never believe my horse had either low heels or poor quality hooves. My farrier has several of his clients using this product now, and both of my apps have great feet, shiny coats, and have "Broken out in Appaloosa". Thank you.
Testimonial from Jane Borwick. France
I bought a young brood mare last year with a foal at foot- she had a very badly damaged eye and was blind in it, but worse was her overall general condition- very thin, feet completely untouched- split, broken and flaking badly- and took a very long time to get a proper coat. I had the eye removed in January and put her on Formula4 Feet as it seemed to be the best I could find to help her with a view of getting her in foal reasonably early in the season. The improvement in her condition was noticeable, after just a month, bearing in mind the time of year. I got her in foal first time in early April and her feet are now not cracking or splitting- I still have a way to go but the Formula4 Feet has turned her around; her coat came properly, her feet are growing and not breaking up on the hard ground she now looks like a horse; the best bit is that the maintenance now is low but I know that she is getting everything she needs without having to be pumped full of this, that, and the other. THANK YOU.
Testimonial from Samantha.
We're on our 2nd sack of Formula4 Feet and the horses adore it. I used to have to mix the old supplement (product name removed by Equi Life for legal reasons!) up with allsorts to get them to eat it which was a pain when trying to feed a fussy TB and a Section A pony who seems to put on weight on practically desert and a nice view!!! (Especially didn't want to have to feed him anything extra!!). Thanks!
Testimonial from Judy Hartzell Pennsylvania, USA.
Love your product! My horse's feet have never been normal until I used Formula4 Feet. I tried everything else to no avail. This stuff is phenomenal! I've told everyone I know about it.
Testimonial from Susan Hobson
Whilst writing we would like to thank you for the advice you gave us regarding one of our school horses Seamus. We have been feeding him Formula4 Feet for about 3 months now and the results have been excellent. His feet are improving all the time and his general condition is much, much better. The advice we received was excellent.
Testimonial from Antonia von Tobiesen, Mausi & Fala, Double Oak, Texas, USA.
I am not comfortable sending pictures, but I would love to tell you what wonderful effects Formula4 Feet has had on my horses..
I have 2 Arab-Pony mares - Mausi is 35 years old and Fala, her daughter, is 13. A friend in Germany introduced me to Formula4 Feet. She had experienced great success with the product. I immediately called the UK and was given a contact in the US for Formula4 Feet. Fala has been receiving the supplement now for about 6 months. She is walking out into the pasture, she no longer spends most of her day lying down, her coat is shiny and beautiful. Fala has regained full interest in life and today actually bucked with joy!!! I hope to ride her again…or at least to see her running and bucking in the pasture.
Formula4 Feet also had a great impact on my older horse. I stopped riding Mausi about 2.5 years ago because her age appeared to catch up with her very rapidly. Mausi also started receiving Formula4 Feet 6 months ago (she loves it!). I haven’t started riding her again and don’t expect to (though – it could happen!), but she has gained a significant amount of weight and her coat is shiny. I also noticed that she did not grow as much hair this winter. Last year, her winter coat was extremely long and the hair was very fine (shedding was also a problem). This winter her coat never grew as long and she has already shed most of it. She has that “sparkle” back in her eyes and is working on a new trick to teach us.
The hoof quality has impressively improved for both horses. Fala had to wear specialty shoes for the last year, but has now been switched back to regular shoes by her farrier. Mausi’s joints and hooves have also improved significantly, allowing her to slowly recover her original hoof shape. Thank you Formula4 Feet!
Testimonial from Mrs Jenny Pike, Lincolnshire
Equi Life has had to edit some of these amazing testimonials, we are not allowed to tell you who enforced this upon us nor why!
******** since using Formula4 Feet, alongside a strict management routine, he has been amazing and now bouncing around all over the place. We are very pleased with the way our pony is now, he is completely different. I will certainly be keeping him on Formula4 Feet.
Testimonial from Mrs J. Johnson, Bridlington.
I simply had to put pen to paper to let you know, for the past year or just over, I've been feeding my Gelderlander "Brandy" (who's in his twenties) Formula4 Feet instead of ******** ******* (product name removed by Equi Life for legal reasons!).
Quite frankly, I can't believe how much better his feet are - what a difference. Even my farrier is amazed at how much hoof there is to trim and also that his hoof is a lot stronger. I can also see his coat has a lot more shine since he started on the Formula4 Feet. There is never any left in his feed bowl, please continue to make this supplement - we cannot manage without it. Hopefully this information is of interest to you.
Testimonial from Jacky Elliott, Mid Glamorgan, South Wales
I asked our newly opened tack shop, Petwise at Treforest, to get some Formula4 Feet for me and I gave him a copy of one of your advertisements. He now has four satisfied customers using it, all of whom have reported good things about the product. I have been using it for both my cobs since early in September this year (2005). I was previously using a well-known broad spectrum mineral and vitamin supplement but gave it away because I was so keen to try Formula4 Feet. I am very pleased to be able to report that even in this short time I am glad I didn't wait any longer.
One of my cobs suffers with poor quality horn and although it may be a little soon (5 weeks) to report a marked improvement I am confident it will happen with the help of Formula4 Feet. The other horse has a rapidly disappearing mane and tail - not in keeping with his flashy personality - and people were remarking on his foal like tail. Today however one of my friends commented on how good both their coats were looking and how soft and shiny the mane and tail of my black cob was - what there is of it! It had nothing to do with good grooming as I am afraid of pulling out even more hair. I had been quietly thinking to myself that I could see an improvement but this just confirmed it.
I am looking forward next summer hoping to see a proper tail from top to bottom and not just a few wispy strands swaying in the breeze.
So thank you for this very good quality supplement.
Testimonial from Julie Lennox.
I have just ordered my second tub of Formula4 Feet. At long last here is a product that really works and I have tried loads of others! His hoof quality has already improved after only one tub of this supplement and the farrier is now finding it a lot easier to put his shoes on.
Testimonial from Corinna Seipp, Yelverton.
"I wanted to tell you that I am over the moon about the improvement Formula4 Feet had made to my 15 years old Shetland mare. She has not been able to get in foal and has not looked well for the last 3 years. She went wrong every time she came into season, to the point that I was about to put her down. I then received your sample pack of Formula4 Feet and read the information about the product.
I started her on Formula4 Feet and the change was absolutely incredible. After only four weeks on the product she got in foal and is absolutely blooming. The ridges on her feet don't seem so noticeable and the new horn growth looks really healthy. She runs out on Dartmoor and I trim her feet myself so I can really appreciate the difference; AND she is sound now, trotting around and feeling really well. I was in so much despair but Formula4 Feet has given me a glimmer of hope for what is my best brood mare having previously won the Championship at Devon County Show on three occasions."
Testimonial from Nicola South
"Storm is doing very well indeed on Formula4 Feet. This is her first summer for 2 years that we have enjoyed hacks out most days, no raised clenches or movement of shoes. The new growth looks healthy and strong, not full of rings and ridges as it was previously".
Testimonial from Mrs Russell, Perthshire, Scotland.
"Horses look tremendous on Formula4 Feet. The horses couldn't have looked better over the winter time. Their coats are shiny; they are all TB and live out all year long. This winter there was no scurf in their coats as there had been in previous years. Everybody has always commented on how wonderful my horse's look and now they look even better.
The hoof quality is a lot better than before. This year we have been freer of splits, even though we have the extreme weather of rural Perthshire. It is easy to make a starving horse look good, as in other adverts, but when you already have horses that look fab, to make them look even better I did not think was possible.
All the horses are unshod and at one point the farrier did say that he might have to put shoes on a couple; but since using Formula4 Feet that has not been needed. I am thrilled to bits with this product!"
Testimonial from Rebecca Proctor, Stratford-upon-Avon.
"I have been using Formula4 Feet for 12 months now and I am happy with it and would not change. The farrier comments on how good his feet are and everybody comments on how shiny his coat is and how well he looks. I feel safe using this product as it comes from Equi Life. He is 15.3h and all he has all year round is chaff and Formula4 Feet to eat and he looks fabulous. I recommend this product to others and I am chuffed to bits with it.
Testimonial from Mrs Kingcott, Tunbridge Wells.
"Formula4 Feet is an excellent product and does what it says it will. Stick with it and you can really see the results. The horn growth has been incredible and such good quality. The horses Love it!"
Testimonial from Mike and Gillian Lithgow, Farringdon.
"We have a Welsh Section A which suffers. A number of potions have been 'tested' over the last couple of years. Some have had a greater effect than others but none have made an appreciable difference - with one exception. Formula4 Feet had an obvious and positive effect on Scottie. The outward physical differences were significantly healthier and stronger hooves. Over and above this, his coat shone, he looked much happier (and fitter!) plus his appetite returned. He was the original, perky pony we had known for many years".
Testimonial from rs Butler, Telford
"Very pleased with Formula4 Feet; my horse has never had good feet but his feet are better than they ever have been, the feet are really hard and it has also improved the horn growth rate. My farrier, who suggested I tried it in the first place, said his feet are the best he has seen them. I would recommend this product to anyone. It was developed by the people who know what my horse needs".
Testimonial from Susan Halliwell, Herefordshire.
"I felt I must write to tell you how pleased I am with Formula4 Feet. My Connemara had very weak and powdery horn. He has had weak heels, for several years (since I've owned him). I have tried several products on the market which were supposed to help; with no improvement.
One well known product he refused to eat, whatever I tried.
I then tried him with Formula4 Feet. I must say that I made no other changes to his stable or work routine. Also, I have always used the same very good farrier. We noticed an improvement, even after just one bucket of Formula4 Feet, but waited to see if this improvement persisted. After using Formula4 Feet for almost a year, my farrier and I are delighted. Now the horn quality is much better, much stronger heels and the powdery weak horn has all but gone. It is an incredible difference in his feet.
Many thanks from Arthur (the pony), myself and Mark Evans a very happy farrier.
Testimonial from Gail Crabb
"I would just like to say thank you for the excellent feeding advice that you gave for my "dull" driving pony. The Speedi-Beet, High Fibre Cubes, grass nuts and of course Formula4 Feet gave him that spark that was missing; thank you. Also want to say that he is very happy and comfortable in the grazing muzzle".
Testimonial from John Mee (Derbyshire)
"I am sending you a few lines about Formula4 Feet. I have been a farrier for 38 years and I have always been somewhat sceptical about hoof supplements. However, some horses obviously suffer with poor feet.
After discussions with some of my customers, and mainly due to the endorsement by Robert Eustace, I was tempted to try Formula4 Feet. The results have been very impressive, with definite improvements in horn quality. As a result I now have several horses using the product. Some customers are on their fifth bucket and the results are plain to see."
Testimonial from Name withheld at owner's request
"Hi, I have been using your product for almost 10 weeks now. I have noticed a change in my horse and was wondering if your product could be responsible as I have not changed any other element of his diet or management. He had greasy areas of skin behind both front knees and on his heels.
Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that his skin is healthy. I did clip off his legs last night just to check there were no nasties underneath, all his feathers and both knees were clean as a whistle. I originally bought the product because the wet, muddy weather had taken a toll on his feet so I thought I'd give them a boost. His hooves and skin are fine now . Is this possible or should I look for an alternative explanation as I would like to avoid this situation recurring? Many Thanks".
Testimonial from Mrs D.W. Bushton.
"Robert, thank you for developing Formula4 Feet. I used to use ******** ******* (product name removed by Equi Life for legal reasons!) but it made my 8 year old Irish TB x so excitable that I had to stop using it. I used to work him at dressage, combined training and as a hunter, but within a day of starting him on that supplement he became a different horse. He could not concentrate, was on a high all the time and became an absolute pest to be about. Thankfully, your Formula4 Feet, has kept him in tip top form without making him so ridiculous."
Testimonial from Mrs V. W. Sheffield.
"Thank you Equi Life, my horse has grown half an inch of better quality new horn within a few weeks of starting him on Formula4 Feet. I have had horses all my life, worked in the industry and Formula4 Feet is the only supplement or balancer I have ever used which has resulted in a visible difference to my horse's feet. I might as well have thrown my money into the street for all the good all the other products I have used have made."
Testimonial from The Hon Ms Jane Borwick, Hereford
"After 1 tub of Formula4 Feet the improvement is noticeable, it is highly palatable and I think it is brilliant!"
Testimonial from Diana Mellows.
"I have found Formula4 Feet invaluable in maintaining my small driving pony "Ginger" in good health and in work."
Testimonial from Lisa Zidek, Kent
‘’I would firstly like to say what a fab product Formula4 Feet is, my 18 year old mare has now been on it since July 2013. I wish I had put her on it sooner, she had a history, but now you wouldn't even think it. Along with regular care from a barefoot podiatrist her feet have become more upright and her soles are thicker and more concave. Her feet and coat are amazing and she loves it!!’’
Testimonial from Lizzie Bateson, Milton Keynes
‘’Just to let you know the 16.1 horse we have Gabriella (Gabby) has gone barefoot did in Nov last year and doing very well. Her mane has grown loads and she grew a lovely winter coat I think for the first time ever, she had no rugs on all winter and she shines and looks wonderful. Once again thank you for all your help’’
‘’I have been using Formula4 Feet for 3 years now and the Solution4 Feet, I brought a 17 year old Arab x for my daughter, when he arrived his feet were very badly split, it looked as his feet were falling apart, shoes were falling off that bad that I wrapped his feet and shoes in duct tape until farrier came the next day, I had done a lot of research and decided that I would like my pony to go barefoot, NO WAY will he go barefoot said my farrier, Well a year on after that day Thomas went barefoot his feet are stronger, the day we took his shoes off he walked out as though he still had them on. This is down to Formula4 Feet feed twice a day alongside a little of Hi-Fi and the Solution4 Feet and a good farrier, He looks great and now Thomas is 19 and we are just about to put him to a chart as my daughter has out grown him and he is still barefoot.
So now we have a 16.1 Swedish warm blood 14 year old with not good feet, she also has gone straight on to your feed. She will also go barefoot I would like to thank you all, you have helped me all the way, in the first year I was always calling you asking if I was doing things right and for your help and you guys all ways have the time. So a big thank you’’
Testimonial from Carrie Kline
"All three look great.
My 22 year-old show pony has been doing great. She is in and only eats Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage; no grass, no hay, no grain.
So the Formula4 Feet product is her main source of essential micornutrients.
Although this pony retired from the A/AA Medium Pony Hunter circuit at the age of 19 (state champion and USEF zone 3 reserve champion that year), she still enjoys her job as a short stirrup pony for an 8 year old little girl. She remains highly competitive as an equitation pony and NO ONE believes this pony is actually 22 years old!!!!! Her coat looks great, wonderful muscle tone and plenty of energy to do her job.
My 21 year old Appendix has had a healthy coat, brighter eye and more energy to walk-trot-canter/trail ride since being on Formula4 Feet. A previous injury prohibits him from jumping anymore. Although he has a regular diet of hay and pasture grass, he only eats a quart of Carb-guard pellets and 2 cups of Omegatin a day. The Formula4 Feet is a great source of nutrients for him, many of which I'm sure he needed before supplementing him with Formula4 Feet.
I also have a 13 year old little welsh pony on Formula4 Feet. Being a small pony with a huge appetite, he grazes with a muzzle and has
limited hay and even less feed, only a handful of Triple Crown's Safe Starch Forage twice a day. Again, I believe his beautiful coat and
overall health is due in large part to being given Formula4 Feet and the balanced nutrition it provides.
Testimonial from Bridie.
Equi Life has had to edit this amazing testimonial, we are not allowed to tell you who enforced this upon us nor why!
Dear Equi Life,
I felt I had to email to let you hear the huge difference Formula4 Feet has made to my horse's condition. VANESSA is my 30 year old mare. After a successful showjumping career she is now retired on my father's farm.
I started feeding Formula4 Feet to Vanessa straight away and now she is cantering round the field like a 4 year old; I haven't had a vets bill in months!
Thank you for your wonderful product it is amazing.